- use organic ingredients if available
- do not substitute any of the ingredients (no lemon juice concentrate or maple syrup that contains added sugar; this is important)
- for convenience and best taste, squeeze your daily amount of lemons once in the morning; keep in an airtight jar in the refrigerator
- use ice cold water when you blend your lemon detox drink; this will enhance its detoxifying effect
- if you have never fasted before or are overweight or physically frail, do not exceed 10 days of lemon juice fasting; keep an eye on your side effects, and if they are severe, end your lemon detox diet early
- take probiotic supplements during the week following your lemon detox diet program
- if you feel lightheaded or dizzy, sit down immediately
- do not eat any solid foods during the lemon detox diet; do not consume any liquids other than the lemon detox drink; one exception is peppermint tea with nothing added
- do not do the lemon detox diet if you are pregnant, nursing, recovering from a serious illness or surgery, or under abnormally high levels of stress
Lemon Detox Diet: How Long Should I Do the Diet?
The standard length of the lemon detox diet is 10 days. This of course, is optional, and it is a good idea to do a shorter lemon detox diet if this is your first time doing a fasting diet or detox program. Many people have experienced benefits from the lemon detox diet with a shorter duration of 5-7 days. This shorter detox program is recommended for anyone who is overweight, prone to low blood pressure, hypoglycemic, physically frail or currently experiencing intense symptoms of toxicity.
Remember that you can end the lemon detox diet early for any reason, but be sure to follow the post lemon detox diet diet plan, even if you have fasted for only 3 days. Keep in mind that the post lemon detox diet period, during which you slowly reintroduce solid food to your diet, is 4 days in length. This means that if you do the 10 day detox diet, you will not be eating solid food for almost 2 weeks.
The lemon detox diet can be pursued for more than 10 days, for those who are experienced with it or who are under the immediate supervision of a physician. If you do not meet those 2 criteria, do not exceed the 10 day recommendation.
Lemon Detox Diet Ingredients
Lemon juice is a natural cleanser to the liver, intestines and colon. The acid in the lemon dissolves toxins and excess build up in the intestines and colon, and it stimulates bile production in the liver, which then initiates a natural liver cleansing process.
Maple syrup supplies necessary dietary nutrients to maintain brain function and supply energy to the body.
Cayenne pepper speeds up metabolism, promotes circulation, and enhances the release of toxins.
Pure water is a natural medium for the flushing of toxins from the body. No solid food is eaten during the lemon detox diet. This gives the digestive processes of the body, which requires energy from the body that otherwise can be utilized for detoxification and cellular repair, a complete rest. Periodic abstinence from eating is known to enhance cleansing and rejuvenation of the body's organ systems.
The ingredients of the lemon detox drink are assimilated directly into the bloodstream and utilized fully by the body without digestive energy.